Flooded private wells, springs, cisterns, pumps, and pipes need to be disinfected and tested after flood waters recede.  Using contaminated water for drinking, washing dishes, brushing teeth, washing and preparing food, and making ice may lead to serious illness.  Please see attached Flood Information Packet for procedures to disinfect water supplies.  The use of food, household products, medicines and cosmetics that have been exposed to flood waters may also pose a threat to your health.  When in doubt, throw it out!  Frequent hand washing with soap and clean water will help prevent illness.  When using cleaning supplies, never combine bleach and ammonia; this combination can create deadly toxic fumes.  Mold growths can often be seen in the form of discoloration, ranging from white to orange and from green to brown and black.  When molds are present in large quantities, they can cause allergic symptoms.  If materials absorb water, it is considered porous.  Porous materials should be thrown out or decontaminated if exposed to long periods of dampness.  Materials such as hard plastic, glass and metal can be cleaned and disinfected.  For more information, see the attached Flood Information Packet or contact the health department at 304-845-7840.

 

Attachments

Flood Information Packet